Friday, April 11, 2014

Thrift Store Refashion: 90's Jumper To Summer Dress In 15 Minutes!


 Why spend so much money on summer dresses at the mall when there are literally hundreds of oversized 90's dresses begging to be loved again at your local thrift store??


MC Hammer would be proud.
Take this, um, interesting floral jumpsuit that I found at a thrift store for just $3.00! Complete with shoulder pads, this outfit was just too good to pass up! I love floral print and I knew I could turn this into something I would be proud to wear!



After a trip to the washing machine, I used my seam ripper to open up the legs and that awful crotch piece:



Then, flipping the dress inside-out, I pinned the open legs together to form a skirt and sewed up the front and back of the dress:


I also cut off the weird square crotch section, so it didn't fold outwards when I wore it!

Stitch!!

Next, I tried on the dress inside-out and used chalk to outline how short I wanted the dress to be. I wanted the hem to be slightly above my knees, so I drew the line at my knees, giving me plenty of fabric to hem with!

Cut off the extra material!!
Then, I folded the bottom of the skirt twice to hem it and make it neat and sewed.




Finally, I cut off those ugly shoulder pads and I was done!!

Good riddance!!


Voila! And it was a beautiful day in Boston to wear it out!



I decided not to take in the dress any more at the top, it fit me well enough and I didn't want it too tight either. I am so happy with how it turned out, and I can't wait to refashion many more dresses!

What are you waiting for? Go hit up those thrift stores! :)

-Ashley



1 comment:

  1. Love your refashion Ashley! I found your blog through IG and just nominated you for a Liebster Award over on my blog www.thewizardofoddsandends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete